Without proper toilets and clean water, people are trapped in a vicious circle:
- They´re likely to become sick through sanitation-related diseases.
- Illness means they cannot work or farm their land, so they earn less or grow less food.
- Children often miss school, because they are sick or because they´re busy collecting water,
- Girls often drop out of school altogether when they start their periods if there are no toilets or changing rooms.
- Parents have to pay for medicines or food, so they may fall into dept.
- Women and girls’ risk being attacked or bitten by snakes as they go to the toilet in the open especially if the culture dictates they have to go out at night.
Water and sanitation projects enable families to build a toilet, have access to clean water, and to learn about handwashing and other hygiene principles.
Dignity is restored when the whole family can use private, hygienic toilet at home and no longer have to use squat in the bush.
To find out more click www.toilettwinning.org
In gratitude for the toilet facilities in St Marys Melton and St James Burton Lazars we have contributed to 7 toilets and continue to pray for more facilities for our other churches.