St Mary the Virgin Church, Thorpe Arnold
Thorpe Arnold is situated on a hilltop, just outside Melton Mowbray, on the A607 to Grantham.
Services are held in the church at 9.45am each Sunday.
The active, friendly and welcoming congregation support each other, and the wider community, with prayer partners, regular coffee mornings, social events, collecting provisions for Storehouse, supporting the wider parish and Churches Together in Melton Mowbray.
We are seeking to lower our carbon footprint and have gained our Bronze Eco Church award.
The church-owned village hall opposite is available for social and corporate hire.
Facilities include a catering kitchen, toilets, sound system and Wi-Fi. There is a nearby car park, signposted, for use by the church and hall.
More information is available, on the Thorpe Arnold Village Hall website, by clicking HERE
- A small country church at the centre of the village offering a warm welcome
- A mix of traditional pews and seats with a capacity of around 95
- Toilet suitable for disabled access and Child changing facilities available in the Village Hall
The church is under the watchful eye of Joy Stribblehill and Catherine Shenton, church wardens.
HISTORY AND ARCHITECTURE
The current church building dates from circa 1200, with Early English, Decorated, Perpendicular and Transitional Norman architecture.
The oldest and most distinctive item in the church is the Norman stone font, circa 1170.
The carvings include a figure holding a sword, boldly fighting two dragon-type beasts.
There is debate as to whether this depicts St George fighting two dragons, or St Michael defeating Satan.
Other interesting carvings in the church include the happy, smiling faces of a man and two lions, at the top of a pillar.
They were probably defaced at the time of the Reformation.
The bell tower contains five bells, dating from 1410. We have an enthusiastic band of ringers who welcome new members.
The present stained-glass windows are from the Victorian era.
Over the past three years the aisle rooves have been replaced with terne-coated stainless steel, after the lead was stolen. At the same time, new guttering and rainwater drainage was installed. The clerestory windows have been refurbished, and the porch repaired.
FIND ST MARY THE VIRGIN, THORPE ARNOLD
ST MARY THE VIRGIN
ST MARY THE VIRGIN, THORPE ARNOLD